Disney Trip

So, this past Saturday I decided that it would be a good idea to head down to Disney and tour one of the parks for the day. Got up nice and early and hopped on the bike, then had to deal with hevy mist and fog for the next hour or so until it got burned off by the rising sun.

Having to wipe your face shield every half mile gets old quickly.

Got onto property around 9am, and first went to Shades of Green in order to buy an annual pass for the parks. No real problems, though I did have a small issue of getting out of the area because the bike didn’t set off the plate to raise the gate on the way out. Oddly, apparently the gate house does not have a button that will raise the gate for you… it is solely dependent on the pressure plate.

Now that I think of it, I have a feeling that there is some way to raise that gate from the gatehouse, because if that pressure plate ever fails they are completely screwed otherwise.

Anyway, after Shades I went over to Epcot and got a parking spot. Since I have a full annual pass now, parking is free. I figure I will save the difference in cost between the full annual and seasonal pass just in parking fees.

Went into Epcot, and took a look at the new stuff in the art shop. Thomas Kinkade has a number of paintings now available of Disney scenes, and they are wonderful, but I did ask why they didn’t have a dimmer capability on the lighting for these paintings, since differing light levels is what makes the Kinkade paintings so sought after.

I then went on a bit of a hunt for stuff to do, as it was a bit early to go on a walk around the world. Went into Innoventions and did The Great Piggybank Adventure, which was actually a lot of fun, though obviously aimed at kids.

From there went on to the Land and had a bit of breakfast, after which headed off to the World Showcase and formulated more of my plan. Decided to head off to Hollywood Studios via the ferryboat that leaves from between England and France.

Got to Hollywood Studios and immediately headed for Rock-n-Rollercoaster, and proceeded to ride it twice very quickly. The single rider line was completely empty, and I simply walked on without any problem both times. Probably one of the best rides that simulates actually flying that I have found, mainly because of the smoothness of the ride.

From there went on to see the Little Mermaid show, which is probably my favorite show on property. Not sure WHY it is my favorite, but it is. Got done with that, then it was time for lunch at the Brown Derby. Had the Prince Edward Island mussels and then their Cobb salad. I don’t think I need to eat their Cobb salad again, as I feel that the Cobb salad at Wolfgang Puck’s is better. Also, they changed the recipe on the PEI mussels, and I don’t feel it is quite as good anymore. It now has a southwestern flair to it, which sort of works, but I feel that the older recipe was better. I think that the next time I go back, I will still get the mussels, but not the salad… I’ll go for something else.

From there I headed out and caught a bus to Animal Kingdom… headed off and went on the Yeti ride, then walked around the park a bit, doing a circuit. The apes that hang out at one of the exhibits were somewhat active, so that was also an enjoyable thing to watch for a bit.

Went on from there to catch yet another bus to the Ticket and Transportation Center, where I was then able to catch the big ferry across the lake to the Magic Kingdom. Caught the middle of the parade in the town square area, then hightailed it to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, which was an absolute walk-on. Left the ride, walked over towards Splash Mountain, but again managed to catch the parade as it exited the park… at EXACTLY THE SAME POINT IN THE PARADE. Watched the end of the parade again, then observed as the crowd on each side of the parade line converged into a massive free-for-all of people trying to get to where they wanted to go. I felt like as they were converging they should have been snapping their fingers as if it were a Westside Story re-enactment.

Basically there was no chance on getting on Splash Mountain at this point, because the rush of people heading there was just too much. Instead I walked down along the water’s edge towards the Haunted Mansion, but the line for that was insane, so instead I just headed towards the front gate. Stopped off at the ice cream shop and got myself a Sundae, which was wonderful.

Headed out the gate and hopped onto the monorail. They are not letting anyone ride in the front at the moment because of the accident a week ago, and I have a feeling that practice won’t resume for a couple more months at least. Got back to the TTC, then hopped onto the monorail back to Epcot. Went back into Epcot so that I could ride the golf ball of doom, then headed out of the park.

Got back on the bike around 5pm or so, and started heading out of the area, only to run into a small shower right around the Contemporary hotel. Realizing that it was just a small shower that would probably pass by in half an hour or so, I pulled into the hotel and sat under the entryway waiting for the rain to pass rather than get soaked. Once it was gone, got going again and headed home.

The ride was ~270 miles round trip, and I managed to hit all four parks and do at least one ride in each park. It was a 16 hour day, but dammit I did it! I could easily do it again, too. Next time I don’t think I have to hit every park though. I can just hit one park and take it nice and easy, then when I feel it is time to head home, do so. The ride there and back is about three hours each way, but since I take all the back roads instead of the interstate and turnpike, it makes for a much more interesting ride.